And How!

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Thinking about the first week.

It's sometimes more than one can handle when thinking about the arrival of your new best friend and how that's going to effect your life. In less than a month (22 days to be sure) the puppies will be here. Then 8 weeks will go by and suddenly my life will change for what I hope is going to be the best.

There will be a lot of changes and as most of my friends will tell you, I don't deal particularly well to huge changes. This means that for the first couple of weeks I usually end up crying and throwing a fit over something that's inevitable. Then I give up and just grow accustom to it like everyone else in the world.

So in an attempt to feel in control over what's going to happen with this little creature I've decided to plan like nobody's business. I know, I know, but you see writing all of the things I think I can handle during this week really helps me out. So here's what I've got for the 1st week:

Week 1

Bringing Puppy Home
  • Bring a crate and blanket to the breeders at pick-up. Socialize and settle the pup to your presence.
  • On the way home NO radio, NO sudden stops, NO breaks/errands. Keep it simple and quiet while in the car. Drive straight home and keep the car cool.
  • Once home give the pup time alone to get used to being separated from the other puppies. Keep the house quiet as any strange noises (outside of routine around the house jobs) may heighten pups stress level.
  • Check to see if the pup needs to go potty. Wait 15 minutes for pup to do business. If the pup didn't potty recrate and try again in a few minutes. When pup does go celebrate like nobody's business.
  • Inside work on training to sit and come. Play games once the pup does something right. After this session the pup may need to potty. Take it out. React as necessary.
  • Keep feeding on the regular schedule issued by the breeder. After eating or drinking puppy needs to go potty.
  • Puppy needs quiet time as well so make sure throughout the day the pup gets to spend time alone in his kennel while you are both in and out of the house. If you are in the house try putting the pup in another room for a few minutes. Toss in a few Kong toys for puppy to be occupied.
  • Repeat the potty, play, rest, and feeding schedule.
  • Puppy gets to go to bed at 8pm but must get up for potty before 11pm so that the pup can settle for the night as much as possible.
Puppy Makes itself at home.
Day 2-3 will be somewhat repetitive of day one. Alternate feeding, potty, play, potty, rest, potty, feeding...
  • Minimize contact to only those keywords you have decided upon, use both body and eye contact to help puppy understand you. (Note: Keywords found below
Keywords for Puppy's first few days:
Sit
Come
Bed
Go-Potty
Dinnertime
No

After the Adjustment Period
Days- 4-7
  • Socialization begins inside the parameters of the Training Schedule (see below)
  • Welcome friends and family to see the puppy but be sure to inform them that you are in-training and adjustment periods so as not to get the puppy over-excited. Teach these people how you have been play-training with the new pup in your own home. Use food as treat reward instead of high calorie alternatives.
  • Enjoy your new dog and don't forget the work will be worth it in the long run of life.
Schedule for Potty Training:

7am-Potty and Training

730am- Feeding time

8am- Potty and Celebrate

9am- Crate with lots of Kong activities.

1030am- Potty Break Quick

12pm- Lunchtime potty, feeding, potty, play.

3pm- Potty Break Quick

5pm- Potty, Food, Potty, Exercise, Play

7pm- Training, Potty and Celebrate

8pm- Bedtime

10-11pm- Potty Break Quick & Back to Bed

***Periodic Potty through the night may be necessary set alarm to check***


2 comments:

  1. Hey Mel! Sounds like you're a bit excited about your new fur-baby! Yayyy!!

    Don't forget to take the little scrap for a potty break after playing, before re-crating. If you're playing with him/her and it makes a meandering beeline for parts unknown, odds are good there's a potty waiting to happen.

    I never taught my fur-kids the word "No." Instead, I taught them "Leave it," "uh-uuuuhhh!" (hmm... That's hard to spell. It's the uh-uh sound we use to mean "no," but in a friendly voice), and "Uh-oh!!" The first command was super-easy to teach and I'd be happy to tell you about our training sessions. The second isn't so much a command as a quick "you've gotten that wrong" signal, which they're not afraid to hear. "Uh-oh" is a "oops, that's a big boo-boo." Tone of voice is everything, and I've found that both my Cavaliers are sensitive to that!

    I'm so excited for you!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's obvious you've been thinking this through! You're far more structured than I am so far. I'm already actively planning to break one of your rules - changing my puppy's food and feeding schedule almost right away.

    My plan, I think, is to focus mainly on contact - showing him that eye-contact, checking in with me, and responding to his name is rewarding. Also everyday manners and behaviour shaping without putting commands on things. For instance leash walking, stopping if he pulls and going if he walks nicely, that needs no words at first.

    I agree with Christine about "no". "No" has a tendency to come out loud and harsh, and it's easy to overuse - many dogs end up thinking their name is "no". I'm planning to use "ep-ep" as a correction/distraction allowing me to redirect to appropriate behaviour. (language geek moment: phonetically it's far more useful for this purpose than "no", lending itself better to repetition and focusing the pup on you)

    Can't wait for the next update!

    ReplyDelete