And How!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Reading Review #4: Bruce Fogle's Dog:The definitive guide for dog owners











































I've just finished reading this book. At a whopping 400 pages it's well worth the $40 bucks Canadian that I spent on it at the local book store. Bruce is a fellow Canadian who currently lives in England with his wife Julia and dog LL Bean. There is a lot of information about dogs in this book.

Bruce, being an internationally renowned vet originally went to Guelph's Vet School. As a result his book is broken down by life stages in dogs. From puppyhood to senior citizen status. There are recommendations and training tidbits.

Fogle starts off his literary adventure by discussing the historical information about where pet dogs came from, how they are classified, genetics, and differences from wild dogs. Then he discussed the human relationship with dogs. Unto how to choose a dog, infancy, and beyond.

I especially liked the final chapter which discussed death and dying of our beloved pets. Being very puppy brained at the moment it is difficult to imagine not only the realities of adolesence but also death of my future pup.

This book is well worth the money but, it does take some time to read. I've been a month at it and I'm a very quick reader. My friend Hannah has also been thinking about this book for some time and I'm almost positive she'd enjoy it. I liken the book to a how-to or owners manual that one can go to throughout the life of one's dog.

UPDATE: Hannah's puppy is now born and they are doing well. I'm sure there will be more updates from her soon.

Also, I'm probably going to be babysitting a Yellow Labrador in the near future for a friend who's participating in the Annual Canadian Cancer Society's Relay for Life. Hopefully, I can write about those experiences as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment