And How!

Monday, June 20, 2011

Reading Review #5: Paul Owens


I finished reading this book sometime last week. I remember reading it at work and various places but to be honest I'm not sure that I "loved" it. The thing is, if you didn't already know, I've been reading dog books for quite some time. I have a bunch of digital books that I've been meaning to read as well but haven't made the time outside of picking up one's in print.

This book's first chapter was excellent at setting up how the book progressed. It's very good for owners who have adopted dogs and I see value in it's training methods. I just found that it got repetitive.

I've graduated from a degree in psychology in the past and so habit training (the same training we use to test rats in a maze) is pretty well known in my world. I actually wish I had this book in my Intro to psychology courses to understand successive approximation, generalization, and habituation.

I get where Owens is coming from in this book. It's very easy to read and understand so if you have no clue what all of this "positive method training" business is all about I suggest you read it. It's broken down to plain english. And though I haven't went on at length about this book I did pick up his book called The Puppy Whisperer at the local PetSmart the other day (this books is very good actually) and I will be writing about that book more than I have this one.

The book does come with an Online Seminar which I haven't done yet. I plan to do it sometime while I am on vacation next week. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment