And How!

Friday, May 20, 2011

New Book! (Not a review)

I got a new book yesterday at the local Chapters-Indigo. This book I had previously looked at when my lovely friend Hannah had purchased the only copy a few months back. It looked really great.

Since I'm getting ready for the dog I have been reading non-stop and I haven't particularly focused on games. I thought I should probably start. This book seems to include quite a bit of variant training games. I'll write a full review when I've completed the book as I always try to do.

Updates: I am beginning to become very excited about being a dog owner and sometimes I get "cold paws" about the whole thing. I know that I'm ready but now that it's for real I have the natural tendency to panic but not for fear of ownership but for fear of improperly training or giving the dog too much at once. I know that owning a dog is nothing like motherhood. I've been quite adamant about humanizing dogs in the past. But a dog is a companion, one that we as humans seem to become very attached and involved with. The reality is that my fears are for altruistic reasons and somewhat related to being a responsible adult.

A Note Further on Humanizing Dogs:
I'm not about to stand high on my pedestal and scream at the world for treating their animals like humans. Instead, I just want to write about how I feel about MY OWN actions toward humanizing a pet. Firstly, I think dressing a dog up in a costume on Halloween is acceptable (not because he or she will look like a human but because its a tradition and most often dogs are as involved in our traditions as we are). I don't think the dog should be dressed up on a regular day, especially if the dog is noticeably uncomfortable because of the clothing. Keep in mind that when we dress our dogs up it is purely for HUMAN enjoyment and not for the dogs themselves. Secondly, calling your self a "mom" and relating it to human parentage is completely inappropriate. I won't call you out for it in public but I might scowl. Being a parent to a human child is a totally different world than being a pet-parent. I don't object to using baby speak as long as you don't stand up to the value that having a fur-baby is exactly like having a real one. Lastly, dogs are indeed dogs so we need to respect them for that. There is no place at a table for dogs in public spaces, there is no need to leave their faecal matter on streets shared with humans, and nobody wants to see your dog confined to a purse when it is perfectly capable of carrying it's own weight around (the only acceptable reason for pursing a dog is fatigue or weather).

1 comment:

  1. I can understand the "cold paws" thing, I've been getting that as well — "how will I be enough for the puppy, and give it all it needs". Now it's mostly given way to excitement though. We'll both do great, not to worry!

    Enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete